Oda a la biblioteca

I love finding a good deal sometimes. I'm not a big shopper but I do want to stretch my dollar. My grandmother, rest in peace, is a New Yorker (raised in Brooklyn) who would search for a deal. When I was young, she would teach me the art of living nice on a low budget. "Know where to find a deal is key, Gregory" she would say to me. Now, I am going to share with you what was at the top of that list.

The library is a valuable resource that can trim some fat from your budget. It offers a lot more than just books. There is the many different magazines, newspapers and other periodicals. If you don't own a computer, you can get access to the web there, 30 minutes per session. Bring your own laptop for free wifi with unlimited time. Not to sound like a salesman but wait, there's more.

I like to read. I like to be around people who do as well. Now, these days, there are more than one way to gather info. You don't have to be a book worm to be well read. But I do believe it is safe to assume that the majority of patrons of the library are somewhat educated. Or at least they desire to be. It's nice to meet people that carry a wide variety of conversation. But still, there's more.

One of my favorite parts of the Brooklyn Central Library is the video collection. The part I liked most was the surprise that it gave me. On the first glance, I didn't even think it was much. It was half the wall in the internet hall. It looked like a fraction of a chain rental store. I almost made the mistake of not giving it a chance. When I looked closer, I saw that it had a nice variety of movies that I wanted to see, had been meaning to see or enjoyed at some point in the past. After many visits, I realized why the small shelf space. In my opinion, and seeing so many other people doing the same, most of their collection is out in the hands of the people. At least, that what I like to think. But wait, their is still more.

One of the programs I have been meaning to take advantage of is the conversational language workshops. I have my own textbooks to privately study but they make it easier to practice. Not only do I have someone to correct me, but I find learning with other to help. We all struggle in our own ways and insight into that gives you an additional boost sometimes.

But these are just some of the way that I utilize the library. Don't take my word for it. Make your way down to your branch. Or make it down to the Central Library by the end of this month and see the Sesame Street exhibition. Just get out there and make the most of your branch.

(thanks to the brownstoner for the image of the library entrance. i couldn't link the photo to your site unfortunately)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are leaving spam, do not bother. If you are linking to your own blog or website, do so after you put a relevant comment. Otherwise, I will delete it.