Why Do I Love Brooklyn? That is a question I get asked a lot. Even more so after starting this. People will say to me all the time "I always have a good time, but why do you say you love Brooklyn?" I would have to say it boils down to the people.

I am a people person. I love to meet different people and learn about different ways of life. I have heard the responses already. "Manhattan/Queens/Bronx has all type of people." Yes, they do have a diversity all their own. But not the type of people I relate to, to be honest.

You see, I'm from a simple city in the Mid West. Nothing too fancy or frilly about it. My hometown is a leader in manufacturing. It used to employ a lot of people in the area known as the rust belt. Now, all that really remains are a few factories and the headquarters dishing out more pink slips. That's right, Detroit, MI.

I am a true, native born Detroiter. I have a place in my heart for that city, a place that is hard to hide. People here in the big apple call me obsessed with the place. Behind all the excitement of a new (and enormous) city to explore, it hurt me to move. I left behind a lot of good people and great memories, but took with me the grit and strong character that the city can produce. I pride myself on working hard and giving 110% when I get behind something. I speak to people with the respect that they deserve and give them the chance to be heard. (In NYC, you need to choose wisely whom you give time to. I learned that quick.)

It was in Brooklyn that I found that working class grit. With a history of manufacturing, the people of Brooklyn have a similar attitude. There is a certain camaraderie that people share when working side by side in grueling conditions. Not always, but most appreciate the simpler things in life when enduring harsh conditions for 8 hours or more a day. I know the blue sky never looked better than when I worked in a factory. I get the feeling a lot of Brooklynites know just what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are leaving spam, do not bother. If you are linking to your own blog or website, do so after you put a relevant comment. Otherwise, I will delete it.